Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Power Struggle

I can hardly wait to leave work today and get to our new house! You might ask, "didn't you move in on Friday? What's special about today?"

Well, it's true that the lease started and we moved a great many of our belongings in on Friday; however, we have not had electricity until today... It's been a bit of a saga, but to avoid much of the drama, let's just focus on lessons learned:

1) When renting a house, be sure to ask the landlord about the expectations for electricity- Will it be on when we move in? Will it need to be in our name?
2) If the answer to the questions above are "No" and "Yes" respectively, recognize that some energy companies will take three business days to turn on power.
3) Take the time to research said energy companies-- some of them will only take ONE business day and may be cheaper...
4) Number 3 is better known before all of the other lessons because if you cancel a contract to switch, the first company just might play tricks that will keep your new company from being able to keep their promises...

But now that's all behind us- we have power which means we have air conditioning! I've loved the house from the moment we first walked in, but I have a hunch that I'll love it even more when I get walk in today and can enjoy being it!

Although, I will kind of miss the "sauna affect"- I'm pretty sure I lost all of my water weight this weekend alone... Just kidding- I won't miss that at all :)

No comments: