Thursday, October 30, 2008

Online Rhyming Dictionary

Life at current times=sooo good!

I got to spend last weekend with my mister down in Waco! We took a drive down to Austin for the Ben Folds concert which was outstanding! I was in awe the entire evening. He played most of the songs off of the new cd- Way to Normal, some off of the "fake" Way to Normal and of course a ton of the classics. I loved everything from the story telling to the standing on the piano, not to mention the mad piano skills. At one point in the concert, he was rocking out so hard that he broke a string! His crew rushed out like it was Nascar or something.

Check out the song Free Coffee- there's no synthesizer. He places empty Altoids tins on the strings of the notes he wants to affect and it makes this crazy metallic nuttyness! An hour of Missy Higgins, 2 1/2 hours of Ben Folds, some Wataburger to round out the night- it was the best concert and greatest date ever!

So then today, I took my practical midterm for Fundamentals and made an 82.5! We were told to shoot for a 70 and that even a grade as low as 45-50 shouldn't be disappointing. We were told that it was a learning experience and as long as we didn't feel like we were floundering, we shouldn't hang our self esteems on whatever grade we saw... So I was mentally prepared for my 40 or whatever... I stink at cutting tournees, my attemps at emulsification have never been successful before... And yet, here I am with a B on my first practical! Here's the grading rubric:

Veloute Sauce: 15/20
(great consistancy, right taste, but I reduced it too much, yeilding only half of what I was supposed to produce)
Hollandaise: 18/20
(perfect color, great emulsification, slightly lacking in the flavor department)
Mayonnaise: 15/20
(weak emulsification and extremely lacking in taste. I have no clue what mayonnaise should taste like since I can't stand the stuff... Needless to say, I wasn't offended)

Knife Skills: 16.5/20
(minor size/consistancy issues, but my tournees were great for a first try? Okay...)

Time Management and sanitation: 18/20
(I pushed over into the "grace period" with my sauces... Whoops... Oh well!)



I was soo excited! Tomorrow, we're making breakfast foods! Omelettes, Croque Madame, Eggs Benedict, Crepes, Cheese blintzes, Garden frittata, and fried/sunny/overeasy eggs! It's going to be glorious, minus the strait up eggs at the end there... After I've stuffed myself with blintzes and crepes, I'm flying out to Arizona for Michelle's babyshower!

Ahhh, it is good times, my friends...

1 comment:

Tracy Jabbal said...

bring me a blintz biotch!